The Instructional Support team often helps faculty schedule their in-person office hours*. However there are a few suggestions and caveats to consider before finalizing a reservation.
For example, many instructors have transformed their in-person meetings into virtual opportunities to collaborate with students and other school representatives by using Zoom. General feedback from students has been positive since online meetings are more flexible and convenient with regard to scheduling and travelling.
Another option is to publish a Virtual Office using Canvas so students may collaborate with each other by asking questions or offering comments in an open forum so the rest of the cohort can learn. This is a great way to encourage long-term student engagement.
One reason why so many instructors have decided to leverage online technologies for their office hours is because of the unavoidable and extreme lack of space throughout the University.
There will be times when you'll require in-person office hours and the Instructional Support team will be happy to work with you - but please note, space reservations cannot always be accommodated.
The following is a list of formalities and procedures to review when submitting faculty office hour space requests via Instructional Support:
1. Space is reserved on a first come, first serve basis
2. There is a blackout period for reserving space:
A very limited amount of space is available during the add/drop period of each term (which is approximately the first two weeks after classes begin).
During this blackout period the CU Registrar's Office has priority for assigning rooms for courses.
Instructional Support will place faculty office hour tickets on hold. Then once the blackout period has ended we'll have more flexibility to accommodate those requests.
3. There is a set limit of 2 hours per week, per course for in-person office hours
4. If a location is not used consecutively for two times, then the rest of the dates within the reservation will be cancelled and the space will be released to SPS
5. Recurring, weekly reservations will start two weeks before the beginning of a term and end during the week when grades are due
6. If you need to cancel or reschedule a reservation, please create a new ticket (don't add comments or update the original ticket - which should have been flagged as solved, then closed)
7. Faculty are responsible for letting their students know about cancelled and/or rescheduled office hour(s)
8. If possible please schedule your faculty office hours later than traditional business times, such as after 5:00 pm
9. If there are people in the room you reserved, please refer them to the schedule that is posted on the outside of the classroom door. (If there are any conflicts, you can send an emergency ticket to Instructional Support and we'll respond asap.)
10. Some of the conference rooms can only accommodate 3 - 4 people so please let us know how many students you will be meeting with at the same time
11. Every conference room and classroom has the necessary tech equipment to host an online meeting (e.g., computer, monitor, webcam, internet connection)
12. Adjunct instructors can use any of the four designated work spaces located in the entrance area of the Lewisohn Hall 504 office suite
We're always happy to help and completely understand that emergencies happen and exceptions may be made.
Thank you and kind regards,
SPS Instructional Support Team
Teamwork Makes the Dream Work!
*Office hours are intended to provide students with the ability to communicate with instructors in a real-time, synchronous environment, and as a forum for instructors to provide students with additional support outside of class.