This step-by-step guide illustrates how to schedule a new meeting in the Zoom - Canvas integration. This is a helpful feature that allows instructors to schedule online class sessions from directly within their canvas course. Only the students enrolled in that course will have access to see the meeting, unless the instructor shares out a link to the session. Please note: As of May, 2020 all Zoom meetings will require a password for security purposes. However if you are using the Zoom Class Sessions integration, authenticated students enrolled in your course won't be prompted to enter the password, only external guests.
- a Zoom Pro (Licensed) account (on the columbiauniversity.zoom.us domain managed by CUIT)
- the Zoom LTI enabled in your course site (must be approved by an administrator) and active in the Course Settings>Navigation
- On the left navigation menu of your Canvas course, click Zoom Class Sessions, then click Schedule A New Meeting in blue on the upper right:
- Select the meeting options. Note that some of these options might not be available if they were disabled and locked to the off position at the account or group level.
- Topic: Enter a topic or name for your meeting.
- Description: Enter in an option meeting description.
- When: Select a date and time for your meeting. You can manually enter any time and press enter to select it.
- Duration: Choose the approximate duration of the meeting. This is only for scheduling purposes. The meeting will not end after this length of time.
- Time Zone: By default, Zoom will use the time zone set in your profile. Click the drop-down menu to select a different time zone.
- Recurring meeting: Check if you would like a recurring meeting (the meeting ID will remain the same for each session). This will open up additional recurrence options.
- Recurrence: Select how often you need the meeting to recur: Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or No Fixed Time. It can recur up to 50 times. If you need more than 50 recurrences, use the No Fixed Time option.
- The other recurrence options will depend on how often the meeting recurs. You can configure the meeting to end after a set amount of occurrences or have the recurring meeting end on a specific date.
- Registration: There is no need to check this option for Zoom class sessions in a course*
- Require meeting password: All Zoom meetings now require a password. A random one will be set by default, but you can change to whatever you would like. Joining participants will be required to input this before joining your scheduled meeting.
3. Recommended Meeting Settings: Here is a screenshot of the custom meeting settings we recommend for most Zoom class session meetings:
- Click Save to finish.
Once finished, you can either select a calendar option to add the scheduled meeting to your calendar or select Copy The Invitation to send out the invitation to your Zoom meeting.
Copy the Invitation will open up a window where you can copy the full invitation to send out via email.
- You can return to the Zoom Class Sessions page to see scheduled meetings and click "Start" when ready to join at the time of your session
To view our Essential Features Guide on the Zoom / Canvas Integration click here: