Online Support and Academic Technology Services Overview
The main function of the Online Support and Academic Technology unit is to provide technical and pedagogical support to faculty and students in online/hybrid programs at the School of Professional Studies. This goal is achieved through rigorous faculty training offerings, a robust helpdesk system, and a team of highly dedicated technical support staff. We maintain a suite of innovative academic technologies and provide access, technology guides, and best practice for leveraging these tools in online and hybrid courses.
The main roles on our team include:
- Webinar Specialists are responsible for the training, administration, and technical support of online meeting solutions (Zoom) and related synchronous technologies available for online class sessions.
- Platform Specialists are responsible for the training, administration, and technical support of the school's learning management system (Canvas) and any related academic technologies.
- Senior Support Specialists are experts in either domain with a specific focus on project-management, pedagogical consultation for online learning, and advanced training.
- Educational Technologists are focused on the research and development of new technologies and integrations (including demos, testing, pilots, and implementation)
Prior to and during instructional delivery of a course, SPS instructors will have access to the following resources and services from the Online Support and Academic Technology unit, including:
- CUSPS Helpdesk cusps.zendesk.com (also staffed by the Instructional Support unit)
- Educational Technology Training https://calendly.com/cusps-online
- 1-on-1 Online Pedagogical Consultations
- Virtual Office Hours for Canvas and Zoom
- In-meeting Online Class Support (for new/first-time online instructors)
- 1st Wednesday Webinars (Presentations on current online pedagogy and ed tech topics)
- Tool Administration (Canvas, Panopto, Proctorio, Zoom, etc.)
- And more…
From the start to end of each semester we work behind the scenes, directly with faculty and students to ensure effective, state-of-the-art teaching with a range of digital learning technologies. Faculty and student training offerings are available for at least one month leading up to every new semester. Our helpdesk is available daily during the following hours of operation: Monday through Friday: 9 AM to 9 PM, ET; Saturday: 10 AM to 2 PM, ET
New instructors or course associates will be contacted about training opportunities at least one month prior to the start date of their course. For specific questions related to an academic technology faculty can attend virtual office hours or schedule a 1-on-1 pedagogical consultation with our staff, or submit a helpdesk request online.